Craving those fluffy glazed Cinnabon rolls but want to cut down on sugars and empty carbs? Search no more! These super easy Healthy Cinnabon Rolls will leave your cravings satisfied! They are not only completely refined sugar-free, but also vegan and oil-free. Fresh out of the oven and topped with delicious lemon cream glaze these fluffy rolls are simply divine. Naturally sweetened by dates and raisins, together with that tangy lemon glaze just makes it the perfect combination of sweet and slightly sour. They are boyfriend, friends and coworker approved and have earned so many compliments, I was a bit surprised myself! 🙂
Cinnabon rolls are definitely an American thing. Whilst growing up in Germany I have never come across these fluffy cinnamon rolls but rather only danish cinnamon pastry, which is completely different in texture and taste. Hence, until this day I have never tried an original Cinnabon roll, can you believe it?
Now since most of my dear followers are either American, Australian, Canadian or from other countries where Cinnabon rolls are huge, I desperately wanted to create a healthy vegan version of the original sugar and calorie-loaded roll to give an alternative for those who like to treat themselves occasionally, without sacrificing their health journey.
It took me some time of experimentation to replace the oil and still get that fluffy result but I finally made it! The secret ingredient is sweet potato (inspired by TheFlouredKitchen) which leaves the dough fluffy and just with the right texture. I created my own version of delicious date cinnamon filling and added some raisins for the extra crunch (blueberries would also be amazing).
Personally I am not a fan of glazes that make your teeth stick together, which is why I opted for a slightly sweet-lemony cashew cream glaze. Of course, you can adjust it to your personal sweet preference anytime by just adding more maple/date syrup! 🙂
These Healthy Cinnabon Rolls are:
and extremely tasty!
If you decide to give these Healthy Cinnabon Rolls a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Cheers and enjoy!
- For the dough:
- 3 cups spelt flour
- ¾ cup sweet potato purée, cooled (make your own by blending boiled sweet potato)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut cream, melted and warmed to the touch
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- ⅛ tsp Himalayan salt
For the filling:
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- ⅓ cup rice milk
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup blueberries or raisins
For the glaze:
- ½ cup cashews, soaked 3-4 hours
- ¼ cup rice milk
- ⅛ cup maple/date syrup
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Place a sieve above a bowl and add the flour. Put all the flour through the sieve and add the salt and yeast. Combine the dry ingredients with a spatula.
- In a small saucepan melt your coconut cream. Let it cool down until it's still warm to the touch (if it's too hot it will kill the yeast).
- In a separate bowl, add the sweet potato purée, maple syrup and coconut cream and combine.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula. When it gets to tough, use your hands and knead the dough for 10 minutes (set a timer).
- Place the dough into a slightly oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rest at room temperature for 1-1.5 hours (the dough should have doubled by now).
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Add the dates, cinnamon and milk into a high-speed blender until you get a smooth mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Once the dough is ready, place it on a floured surface (flour well or the dough will stick) and use a rolling pin to spread the dough evenly into a rectangle.
- Spread the date filling on top (make sure it's not too thick or it will be difficult to roll) and add some raisins or blueberries.
- Starting at the longer side of the dough, use your hands to rolls it up (it doesn't matter if it doesn't come out as a perfect roll).
- Cut the roll into equal pieces and place filling-up into a lined cake tin. Place the tin into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes (take a toothpick to check if the roll in the middle is baked).
- In the meantime prepare the glaze by simply blending up all ingredients.
- Once ready, take out a warm Cinnabon roll, top with the glaze, sprinkle some lemon zest on top and enjoy!
- Store for 3 days in the fridge.
To save this recipe on Pinterest, simply move your mouse over the picture below and pin it!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.