For all the people who have never tried a tropical açaí bowl before – you don’t know what you’re missing out! 🙂 The açaí berry is a black-purple fruit in the shape of a grape and native to Brazil and South America. You can usually buy it powdered or freeze-dried in nature and health stores, but in recent years, due to an increase in the demand, bigger supermarket chains might also sell it. The berry has been cherished by the Amazonian people for centuries due to its extraordinary amount of antioxidants (even more than black- and blueberries) and other health benefits.Apart from one of the most known and publicized superfoods among health enthusiast, it is also super tasty and shouldn’t be missing in a balanced diet. I’ve eaten açaí for the first time in Brazil (a few years ago) and loved it ever since! Traditionally it is topped with banana slices, granola and honey, but, my favourite combination is mango, blueberries, kiwi, strawberries and some coconut flakes. Anyways, you can decide on which combination is your favourite and experiment a bit with the flavours! 🙂
I honestly eat açaí bowls numerous times a week and consider it one of my favorite breakfasts and lunches! If in a bowl, topped with delicious fruit or as a smoothie, it immediately gives you a huge energy boost and satisfies your stomach for several hours! I love it and I hope you guys do too! If you haven’t done so already – TRY IT! 🙂
- 4-5 frozen bananas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mangos (if you use fresh, put it in the blender first and take less liquid)
- 1-2 packs of frozen açaí OR 3-4 Tbsp açaí powder
- a dash of coconut water/ milk
- coconut flakes
- fresh mango, cut into cubes
- banana, sliced
- Place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth (this should take about 2-3 minutes, scraping down). If you use fresh mango, put it into the blender first and take less liquid. Also, make sure not to add too much milk as you will get a more smoothie-like consistency. You want that yummy nice cream texture!
- Place in a bowl and add the toppings!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links and if you purchase through those links I’ll receive a small commission with no additional cost to you. I’m only affiliated with companies and products that I recommend and trust.