The stormy weather here in Cyprus has me craving all the comfort foods. Especially in the form of a cup of warm chai latte and a piece of this heaven: Spiced Apple Cake with Cashew Frosting! The cake is so rich and moist, filled with a few crunchy apple and walnut chunks, while the frosting is heavenly fluffy and creamy – the perfect combination! It is super flavorful due to a variety of traditional Christmas spices and the sweet and tangy from the apples. This one is definitely a keeper! 🙂
Baking with dried fruit is definitely one of my favorites (may that be dates, figs, apricots, mango or apples). The natural sweetness of the fruit adds so much to the taste that you can reduce other sugars – plus it comes with nutrients and fiber!
I got the dried unsweetened apples in my monthly box from KoRo – my go to online drugstore in Europe for my favorite vegan staple ingredients like dried fruits (Medjool dates, mango, berries, etc.), superfoods, nut butters, nuts, flours, juices, coconut water, protein powders, kitchen utensils like wooden bowls or mason jars and so much more! Their dried mango pieces, dried apple rings, figs, and, of course, Medjool dates, are my staple snacks that I try to get every month! they’re so healthy and good for you and perfect to avoid sugar cravings or binges!
The best thing about KoRo is that most of their ingredients are organic and they offer goods in bulk to keep the prices down for the consumer. They also recently started adding more zero waste items etc. to their online shop, which is awesome! I get a big package delivered straight to my house every month with all the staple ingredients I need for cooking/baking this months and LOVE their concept. As of right now they’re only shipping in Europe – namely to the following countries: Germany, Austria, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Italy, Portugal, Spain – their website is available in German, English and French!
ALSO: great news – I’ve worked out a discount code with KoRo so you’ll get a 5% discount when using the code ‘THETASTYK’ at the checkout on every order! 🙂 YAY!
If you decide to give this Spiced Apple Cake with Cashew Frosting a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag me (@thetastyk) and #thetastyk on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with. Love and enjoy! ♥
- 1 cup grated apple (about 2 medium apples)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds + 3 Tbsp water)
- ⅛ cup date syrup (or sub with molasses/maple syrup)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (or sub with apple sauce)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup KoRo dried unsweetened apples, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 14oz can full-fat coconut cream, chilled overnight (the firm part only)
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for min. 4 hours
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ cup dried unsweetened apples, chopped
- ⅛ cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Start by making the frosting (it needs to chill a few hours in the fridge - best to prepare it the night before even). Place the cashews, cinnamon, powdered sugar and firm part of the coconut cream into the blender. Blend for 1 minute until completely smooth, transfer to a glass bowl and place into the fridge to firm.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line/grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Grate the apples and use your hands or a towel to squeeze out the juice a little bit. Place the apples with the remaining wet ingredients into a medium sized bowl and whisk together. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and combine (be careful not to over mix).
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and even out the surface. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool down completely. Place the frosting on top and spread, also on the sides. Add the toppings, decorate your cake and enjoy! Store in the fridge up to 3 days.